Out There has been designed for independent, tread-lightly travellers looking for off-grid wilderness accommodations. Our concept is digital detox. Move away from your phone.
Find your Wild!
Think wilderness camping meets bohemian boudoir and you'll find yourself Out There, on a private island in the heart of British Columbia's spectacular Sunshine Coast.
Choose from our private waterfront tent cabin, or a private ocean view room in our wood framed Yurt, Bring your friends (maximum 6 people) and enjoy your exclusive private island retreat. Each room has incredible ocean views, private outdoor space, luxurious bedding, towels and locally made biodegradable toiletries.
Prices include meals and one return boat cruise from Egmont, on our classic west coast wooden boat. Be kind to the environment, pack out what you pack in, leave no trace.
Click on the photo's below to follow us on Instagram
"One travels to run away from routine, that dreadful routine that kills all imagination and all our capacity for enthusiasm" - Ella Maillart
Out There is a Mecca for marine and outdoor recreational adventures. Simply kick back and relax, beach-comb over 2000 feet of shoreline, or go hiking, kayaking, paddle boarding, swimming, snorkelling or take a boat tour with experienced local guides.
- Snorkelling - free - explore life under the ocean in the peaceful, calm waters of our protected bay.
- Double Kayak or Stand Up Paddle Board - $15 per person Half Day / $30 Full Day - explore Nelson Island's coves and bays that lead to hidden hiking trails, or visit the seal colony at Lone Tree Island. Safety equipment included.
- Freil Falls Tour - $40 per person, minimum 4 people - 3 hour cruise on our Classic West Coast wooden boat into Hotham Sound to see the Falls drop 1,450 feet out of Freil Lake, best viewed in Spring or early Summer depending upon rainfall levels
- Hike "The Skook" - Free - An easy 4km hike from Egmont through old growth forest will take you to viewing points to watch thrill seeking kayakers surf the Skookumchuck Rapids. The flood tide brings big waves, the ebb tide brings whirlpools. Check out the best viewing times.
- Ruby Lake Break - Free - Make time for a refreshing dip in stunning Ruby Lake on your way home, or Egmont's own Waugh Lake is a fantastic local watering hole.
- Princess Louisa Falls Tour - $149 per person - start or end your trip Out There with a 5 hour tour of Jervis Inlet and Chatterbox falls, pick up or drop off at our private dock to Egmont.
- Skookumchuck Narrows Tour.- $25 per person / $100 minimum trip - 30 min tour scheduled for the best viewing times, see North America's fastest tidal rapids, Pick up and drop off at Bathgates Store in Egmont.
- Bathgates Store Boat Rentals - From $160 per day - explore the area at your own pace, rental boats can overnight on our 60ft dock
“Happy. Just in my swim shorts, barefooted, wild-haired, in the red fire dark, singing, swigging wine, spitting, jumping, running — that’s the way to live". — Jack Kerouac
Exclusive private island from $600 per night, max 6 peeps
Waterfront Tent cabin from $200 per night, max 2 peeps
Yurt rooms from $150 per night, max 2 peeps
Prices include return boat cruise from Egmont, DIY breakfast and lunch, and shared family style evening meal - with fresh, local and homegrown delights.
BOOK NOW on AirBNB
Hand made with love by owners Andy, Liz & Nina, and a whole bunch of friends and family,
Out There was dreamed up from a desire to jump off the mouse wheel, escape the cage, run for the hills and find our wild!
Inspired by the astonishing adventures of Muriel Wylie Blanchet, who left widowed in 1927, packed her five kids and the dog into a 25 ft wooden boat and cruised the BC Coast, we were magically drawn into the breathtaking beauty of Egmont, Jervis Inlet and specifically Nelson Island. Sure enough, our dream property was right there waiting for us. As one of our guests described it, Serendipity found.
After many years of saving, planning, observing, learning, repeat, Out There began to take shape in the summer of 2012. Our dream was to create a rustic but luxurious off-grid oasis designed to take advantage of BC's temperate rainforest by harvesting rainwater, solar and wind power. Our main goal was to "fit in" and leave minimal impact on the surrounding environment
Meeting our curious neighbours up close and personal has been one of the most memorable aspects of building Out There. Eagles, seals, sea lions, and chip monks are all regular visitors and the shoreline is teaming with sea-life. We have even been lucky enough to glimpse orca, grey whales and dolphin pods.
It's all about making memories and we hope Out There provides an inspirational back-drop for your own wilderness adventures.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” - Hunter S Thompson